How You Can Help
You can play a role in your loved one’s recovery.
When your friend or family member is sick, Placentia-Linda Hospital is here to provide our best medical expertise and support services. But it’s important to remember that you also have a role in that person’s recovery.
An obvious way to show how much you care is to visit during their hospital stay. Another way to be supportive is to learn more
Other ways to provide both compassionate and practical support:
- Work with a loved one to create a checklist for what he or she will need at the hospital. Offer to pack the items.
- If you’re driving the patient to the hospital, plan your route beforehand. That will help you arrive on time.
- Decorate the hospital room with small personal items from home, such as children’s drawings and photographs.
- Learn the names of medical staff members and talk to them.
- Together, prepare a list of approved visitors. That will help your loved one get needed rest at the hospital.
- Make a checklist of things that need to be done after discharge from the hospital:
- Fill any post-surgery prescriptions
- Keep track of medications and when to take them
- Stock the house with healthy foods and beverages
- Decide who will manage tasks once the patient is ready to leave the hospital:
- Who will drive the patient home?
- Who will take care of children or pets?
- Who will prepare meals, clean the house and do laundry?
These are simple ways to help. But they will help put your loved one at ease before, during and after a stay at the hospital. And they may help with your loved one’s treatment and recovery.